Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Amethyst coffee bar, Chennai - review

I have heard about Amethyst, but never been there till last month. I remember reading an interview of a film actress who mentioned that on a relaxed day, a coffee in Amethyst is her preference. I thought it may be a very posh place. So I visited Amethyst last month and I have already gone there thrice in 4 weeks.

Located in Gopalapuram, very near to Satyam Cinemas, it is an old bungalow converted to a coffee shop. Well, I can't really call it a coffee shop as they serve breakfast and also lunch. Amethyst has seats both indoors and outdoors. Outdoors, the seats are like those in a park beneath tree shades. The chairs are steel and old looking, so as the tables and a tissue paper holder. They have a flower shop inside. I always preferred outdoor seats. It is calm, gentle breeze and WOW. Only complaint is it gets sultry after some time. The table fans and breeze does not make you as comfortable as in a air conditioned coffee bar.

The menu is not big. Amethyst offers breakfast, familiar coffees as in coffee bars and milk shakes. They also offer water melon and lime coolers. I really cant recommend anything here. There is nothing really special. For lunch, they offer a list daily specials. I never tried them. So cant comment

Price - For two it will cost around 300 Rs assuming that you order two drinks and a pastry. If you try one of their daily specials the cost will go up considerably. Overall it is expensive. But it is a nice place to be tried once and see whether you get value for your money. It is a nice place to spend time with your loved ones and ofcourse, reduce some of the weight in your wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment